Monday, January 18, 2010

A Bhel of two cities


A BHEL OF TWO CITIES

It was a very beautiful day… I can still smell the old paint on the train, and the feeling of being suffocated because of the extremely fat and rude woman sitting next to me, I can still hear people talking at the top of their voices … As I was saying, It was a beautiful day and me and didi were on the train to Ahmedabad from Surat.

Now, there is one thing that you need to know about me.. I am a foodie and I have sudden cravings for food items at totally odd situations..

When I was travelling to surat, I had this amaaazzing and extremely tasty “Bhel” !

And since then I couldn’t wait to get on the train back to Ahmedabad to eat “bhel”..

Everything was set..I sat on the train, waiting to get my hands on the yummy , crispy and mouth watering bhel.I knew, it wouldn’t be a problem as during the 5 hour journey atleast 10 bhel walas generally show up…

Suddenly, I saw a man carrying a basket on his head..

YEsss!!! Hes here .. I thought..

“bac phree, bolo, minral waater, bolo, bac phree boloooo”

Damn! It wasn’t Bhel..

After some time , I saw another basket man..

But,

It was “phrooti aaya phrooti, limca bolo fanta bolo, pepsi bolo”

NOOOOOOO….

Okay I had to wait…. I waited and I waited..

And there was no bhel wala in sight.. I was really irritated now.. I needed some junk food and I needed it NOW..!!

And then there was, the “cutlet wala” .. I had 2 cutlets.. Haash! My stomach was full and I was happy..

After 2 mins,

“bhel bolo bhel aaya, bheeelll”

didi asked me If I wanted any.. I simply replied “ nah dat’s okay..no mood for bhel now “

didi: “are you sure??”

me: “duh-uhh..!!! I just had 2 cutlets!”

The rude woman bought one packet..

The bhelwala went away..

And after 10 mins,

OHH no!!! It was here again..!! Bhelll …. I need bhell right now… YUmmm!! Can’t look at the woman eat it.. NOoo!!!

Didi: don’t worry. There will be more vendors soon..

And then I waited , I waited I waited…

Okay.. I thought I should forget about it and divert my mind to something else..and just when I thought I had forgotten about Bhel, I got a msg from “buyshares” which said “Buy BHEL for blah blah blah”..

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Bhelll Bhelll bhell…

Suddenly I heard a basket man say “Bheeel”.

And I wassss soooooooo happy..!! He was walking very very fast,.. I ran behind him..

I ran through two compartments..


Finalllyyy!! I thought.

“BHAIYYAAA”..!. ek Plate Bhel” I shouted, still panting.

and he said:

“madam bhel nahi bread hai”.........



aavjo!

ashwini :)

No comments: